Monday, September 20, 2010

Re-Commit 21

So Yogasport has begun a Re-Commit 21 Challenge. We are making a committment to ourselves to do yoga for 21 days in the next month.

I think it's really a committment to myself to show up. Not to yoga, but to LIFE. I am realllllly good at being too busy to go to yoga, which turns into being too busy to do something good for myself. One example is that I've been meaning to stop by the salon for a pedicure. I have a gift certificate and want a little "me time" so that I can unwind and relax a bit. Have I been yet? Nope. I've had plenty of time to stay late at school and work on "stuff" though. And who could pass up a free pedicure? It's little things like that...not showing up for a pedicure, not showing up to yoga, not going to weekday mass, being late for something, or forgetting something else...that cause me to participate in this self-neglect. No one is making me stay late at school but myself. No one is keeping me from yoga or the me time but myself.

So when Angela sent an email to YS members about the 21 day challenge, I was like, yes, I need to be challenged to re-commit to myself. We are all busy. We all have excuses. But what do we really need?
I need some of that goodness that comes with yoga. The physical benefits of a cardio workout, the mental benefits of restoring my body after life kicks my rear.

In fact, today is day 1!
And where was I at 6:30? Arriving at home. I can't make a 6:30 class if I get home at 6:30. They lock the door after practice begins, and I know I can get there 5 or so minutes late and still make it. But I can't get there 10 or 15 minutes late. And it's best to get there about 10 minutes early to get into the mindset of yoga and to acclimate to the temperature (not too hot, about 90 degrees). I almost declared myself a failure, when I decided that it would be the opposite of committment to do THAT. Let's not get carried away, Rina. So I did yoga in my living room. It wasn't a full committment, but I have tomorrow to get better! 6 AM, here I come! (hey, I did it last Thursday, so I am GOING tomorrow morning - I sort of told myself that I would go in the morning the next 6 times it was available. I have in my head that it takes 6 times to learn a habit?? Where is that from? And then 21 days to form the new habit. Something like that? Or maybe it's "tell kids something 6 times before they hear you...." ANYway. 6 am. It's on.)

Your re-committment can be to yourself, your family, your spiritual life, your kids, your job (hopefully it's something besides your job though), your healthy diet, your brain-- whatever it is, your heart will thank you for it! 21 days to form a good habit!

No comments:

Post a Comment