Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 1, really :)

Yea! Day 1. Sorry for the multiple posts...I should have started 2 days ago. (and here I am giving reasons...let's change that, shall we?) Which brings me to why I'm doing this 40 Days Program. I have been working out consistently since my last year in college (1998), and I've tried yoga before, here and there, to decide that it wasn't enough for me. I needed to move around a lot, breathe really hard, and sweat a ton. So I stuck with kickboxing class. I still love it, but now it's not enough.

I teach 6th grade, so as all teachers or spouses or friends of teachers know, I am "on" all day. I get to school at 8 (that's goal #1 out of this, actually), put my teacher face on at 8:10 when kids start flooding my classroom, get a conference period that many days is actually used for parent or teacher conferences, and then stay on until they leave. Then I have some quiet time to work at school. I generally leave the building between 5:45 and 6:30. That's a big time frame, but sometimes I'm there until 7 (not that I'm happy about that).

So when I work out, I want an efficient use of my time (ie-calorie burn/enjoyment). I will run with my nifty Nike iPOD gadget on nice (read: warm) days, go to a class, or go to yoga. Yoga gets a gold star for catering to another of my needs. I need to turn "off." It is a time where I get to have calm (while my heart is beating 170 beats per minute) and I get to have peace (while I ignore the sweat dripping upward, into my nose.) It's the most efficient work out, among the tier of efficient work outs. For those of you who want to lose weight, yoga will do it. Want to tone? Yoga...so fast too! Want a challenge? Holy cow, yoga. Need to turn "off?" I didn't need it in my 20s. Now I'm 34, and suddenly I crave it.


So, since it's the end of the day, I'll log my "numbers." These are meant to be non-judgemental. (How do I do that? Isn't that why I'm doing this? To gauge how "well" I'm doing?)

Yoga Practice: 0 minutes
Meditation: 0 minutes (I will do 5 before bedtime though-that way I can post 10 minutes tomorrow)

Nutrition:

Breakfast- coffee (usually I eat SOMEthing - judging, am I? shoot.)

Snack- almonds
Lunch- turkey sandwich, water, strawberries, 1/2 bag baked lays, sugar cookie
Snack- cutie orange, dark chocolate

Dinner- 2 black bean tacos from Taco Cabana, some bread, green tea, snickers (fun size)



Ugh - I'm still hungry and I didn't go to yoga on Day 1. And there goes the non-judgmental thing. Today in writing looks sad. Zero?! And it looks like I'm on a diet. ...[insert non-judgmental comment here].

No comments:

Post a Comment