Thursday, July 8, 2010

Chicken Adobo

Last night's dinner
I made Chicken Adobo last night. It was my 3rd or 4th time to make it, but this was definitely the best batch so far. It's so easy, and it's delicious. We grew up having "adobo" approximately once a week. It's equivalent to any other chicken dish that you may have had once a week. Mmmm...it is YUMMY. Even my cookbook says, "This Philippine classic has been called the best chicken dish in the world by a number of friends of mine." (How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman, 1998) Great book, by the way - we received this as a wedding gift from one of my students. AND, there is a new edition out, plus a vegetarian book, and others that look good.


Here's the recipe from page 377 with some of my own adjustments:
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 cup water
3 tsp minced garlic (can be chopped)
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
10 or so chicken drumsticks (you can use thighs or the whole chicken; I grew up with the legs)



  • Trim the chicken legs.
  • Combine the first six ingredients in a covered pot. Bring to boil over high heat. Add the chicken; reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for about 30 minutes. Turn once or twice. Make sure all of the chicken is MOSTLY under water. Add water if you need to. I added a full cup of water.  
  • Prepare a small pan on the stove*, and quickly saute the chicken, about 1 minute per side. Return the chicken to the broth until ready to serve. Serve over steamed rice, and make sure to use the sauce!

*It was raining yesterday, so I just sauteed it on the stove. I actually do not remember my parents grilling or broiling after boiling, but here's the rest of the recipe from my book:


While it is boiling...
  • Start a charcoal or wood fire or preheat a gas grill or broiler. The fire need not be too hot, but place the rack just 3 or 4 inches from the heat source.
  • Remove the chicken and dry it gently with paper towels. Boil the sauce over high heat until it is reduced to about 1 cup; discard the bay leaves and keep the sauce warm. Meanwhile, grill or broil the chicken until brown and crisp, about 5 minutes per side. Serve the chicken with the sauce and white rice.

Now that I think about it, Dad did sometimes grill it. It was called "barbeque." The prep work was just the same as making Adobo. Isn't it funny how we grow up with different ideas about things?

Another note: you can make a smaller batch. Just use less chicken. The 10 drumsticks is enough for dinner for Todd and me, plus leftovers for tonight. Just reheat on the stove or in the microwave!

Also, you may have noticed that this has zero vegetables. We were going to make corn on the cob but didn't because we were pretty full on the guacamole I'd whipped up. Growing up, adobo wasn't ever the only thing served that night. We'd have sinegang (fish stew- so yummy - haven't learned that recipe yet), or some other form of fish that probably included bok choy at the very least, plus 2-3 mangoes peeled and sliced. Make it your own!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Rina!!! I'm so excited! I have been telling Brandon about your Adobo for years, because his grandma is Filipino, and he thinks hers was the best. But, I assured him that there was no way that it could match the Adobo I remember having at your house. I fell in LOVE. Thank you soooo much for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! It's so easy! Now yours will be his favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete