Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Katy Trail & a little bit about shoes

I went for a great quick jog on Katy Trail this morning. It was nice! I'd forgotten how much I enjoy the Katy Trail. Thank you, Uptown, for the Katy Trail. It can be stinking hot out and the trail has a considerable amount of shade available for us. Love you, KT!

I jogged the entire time - broken down, that's a walk/easy stretching to the sidewalk, and then jogging to the trail, up to Knox, then a short stop for water, and then jogging until I can see the sidewalk where I started. From there I walk home and wind down, stretch my arms, etc. You know.

I have the Nike ipod shoe system, so my workout results today were:
Distance: 1.91 mi
Time: 21:31
Pace: 11:11 min/mi
Calories 198

My playlist:
Walk Away - Kelly Clarkson (light jog)
Somebody to Love  - Glee Cast Version (keep warming up)
Can't Get Enough of You Baby - Smashmouth (increase intensity)
Paper Planes - M.I.A. (from Slumdog Millionaire) (continue the jog)
Pump It - Black Eyed Peas (increase speed)
Since You Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson (great one to push myself with - she's a great singer to run to)
I like to wind down to My Love - Justin Timberlake or even Candyman by Christina Aguilera

I was planning on doing yoga at noon, but after my shower, I felt that food was more important. I'll make an evening class instead. Yep! Double duty today, since I skipped yesterday. Normally I don't do that, but Vegas pool time is in my near future, so it's crunch time, people.

So, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to buy a new pair of boots.
WHY do I love shoes so much?

I think there's something in the Filipino gene that, when compounded with the XX chromosome pair, causes our brains to believe that shoes are necessary to life. Not just a pair to protect your feet with, but multiple pairs, some of which actually hurt your feet and offer little in the way of cushion...the whole protection thing is then outweighed with the discomfort in order to wear some hot shoes. This is when I say  "you just have to commit." Yes, when I come downstairs wearing a high set of heels, Todd says, "So, you're gonna commit tonight, huh?" And I answer, "Yep, sure am." There's a little non-verbal contract that runs through my head: "I understand the effort I am using to wear these heels. I have done what I can in the way of adding extra comfort with Foot Petals or Dr. Scholl's inserts. I know the approximate time frame for which I will be sitting down and have calculated the sit-down/stand up ratio for the evening. There is no going back. These shoes look awesome, and I look great in them. Time to commit."

Anyway, I have a reasonable balance of heel heights in my closet. Many shoes are perfect shoes for work. I have tile in my room, and tile is no friend to heels when I like to walk around my classroom during the day. In fact, training and workshop days are almost reserved for heels, when I know I'll get to sit down most of the day. As much as I'd love to wear heels to school, some days I know it's not worth the pain. Other days, I "commit" until I can't handle it (about 4th period), and I will change into my backup pair of flats.

So, I'd like to buy a pair of boots for the fall. The question is, where will they go? I have a limited amount of space for my shoes, and boots take up like, 3 or 4 times the space as regular shoes, especially flops or flats. I have said that I won't buy a pair of shoes unless I give away a pair. Wait! I just gave 2 pairs away this past weekend! That still doesn't make room for boots. Boots go in a certain spot in my closet and all boot spots are filled. I will have to rearrange.

Speaking of my closet...we are in a 2 BR condo with decent-sized closets. Todd and I do not share closet space, and his is definitely less packed in than mine. It's no secret that most guys have fewer shoes than girls, so I won't go there. However, when I was getting ready to move in a few years ago, I went through all of my stuff, picking out things to give to Catholic Charities and Goodwill and Salvation Army and the donation box at Albertson's. Todd was joking with me and asked how many pairs of shoes I had. Well, I'd never counted. Who needs to count when you always find yourself telling yourself "yes, I need these shoes" when your at Dillard's, or worse (really, BEST) Nordstrom! I counted. 76. No lie. I'll have to count again, since that is (I'm SURE) not accurate today.

So these boots are at Nordstrom, who is having their best ever sale right now. The Anniversary sale. These are items in for the Fall (this coming Fall) season that are on sale BEFORE the season starts. Once August 2 hits, the prices go back up. I love this sale! And! Nordstrom is the best place to buy shoes! Their customer service is unbeatable. Seriously, they will help you until you have a pair that you're happy with. Not like, Hi, I'm here to help you with shoes, but I mean, really. Helpful. For example, I bought a pair of black wedge espadrille-ish shoes a few years ago that I loved. They had a sling back style with a little button that popped off. I took them to a cobbler who was not helpful at all. They looked at it an flat out said they couldn't do anything for me. Really? For a BUTTON? So I took them to Nordstrom, where they happily gave me a new pair, no questions. Happy me walked out to wear them immediately, when a few weeks later, the button (same one) popped off again. So I took them to Nordstrom where they helped me find another pair very similar to them, that was about $15 more. I didn't want to pay the $15, but they were so cute and so button-free and a little more fancy, and the guy/girl helping was so friendly, that I happily paid $15 for my new cuter, button-free shoes. They are my go-to pair for summer.

OK, here are the shoes. The are over the knee boots, which would be an adventure in boot-wearing for me. I'm not going for the Pretty Woman thigh high boot look. More power to you if you can rock that. These boots look very classy and super fun on p. 4 of the catalog. Not sure if I'd wear them to school, but I'd certainly wear them out! If they don't fit over my huge calves (seriously, I have this problem every fall with tall boots), then I will be sad and will not buy them. Here's to hoping!
Sam Edelman "Sutton" Over the Knee Boot

1 comment: