Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Taste of West Village and My Mango Method

Todd and I had dinner at Taste of West Village. The restaurants had servings of food for $1 and the proceeds go to North Texas Food Bank. We had a taco from Taco Diner, a lamb chop from Cru, some nachos from Mi Cocina, and then from Lemmon Bar, we had (together) a grilled cheese (3 cheeses! yum!) with tomato soup, chicken fettucine alfredo, and some mud pie (whipped cream and choclolate shavings on chocolate mousse on chocolate cake-- um, hello). The two of us had a dinner's worth of food for under $15...it was great! And for a good cause. And we listened to some live music and people watched and ran into some church friends. Overall, a super way to enjoy dinner! Sometimes, food that brings you good health isn't all that healthy. Good thing I ate healthy all day long (see below).

Today's work out:
Tonight I went to Janie's yoga class. Oh my I was feelin' it in my legs from yesterday's S.E.T. class with all the stepping and such. I had two risers under my step (on each side), so there was a good distance for my average-length legs to pull myself up onto the step. Yoga is the perfect next day workout. You sweat everywhere, get a killer cardio work out, lengthen your muscles, and tone your arms pronto, and you can be good to your bones. Plus I leave feeling amazing.

New Food from my grocery store trip!
Have you tried Yogi granola crisps? Ok, they sound super healthy, but they are really yummy! (and, yes, they are super healthy - 20 grams of whole grains per serving (1/2 cup) which includes 2 g of fiber, 3 g of protein and only 5 g of sugar). If you are a calorie counter, it has 110 per serving (20 from fat) and 2.5 g of fat (0 unsaturated and 0 trans fat). YUM. I am all about the Mountain Blueberry Flax crisps. It's so crunchy and just sweet enough. It's as if someone cut off the top of a blueberry muffin and made it crispy. I had this with berries this morning for breakfast and again before yoga. Yogi also makes cereal. I bought the walnut spice something or another and had a yummy lunch with blueberries and a mango.

Rina's Method to Eating a Fresh Mango
I grew up eating fresh mangoes, and my favorite way to eat them is like this:
1. Rinse the mango and dry
2. Cut along each side of the mango seed (it's big)
3. On each "half," carefully cut a checkerboard into the peel, without cutting through the peel
4. Fold back and enjoy!
You can spoon out the fruit, cut it out, or just jump in with your teeth. You do it with a watermelon, right? Get to eating then!
ps- you can also, take the peel off of the seed and cut the flesh off or bite into it. It's the best way to have a mango! I love fresh mango above jarred, canned, or mango-flavored anything else.

1 comment: