Friday, July 9, 2010

Vegan?

So we're going to Las Vegas in early August to celebrate birthdays (mine and one of my best friend, Laura's) and an anniversary (our 2 year). We are meeting the Paynes (Laura, Robert, and their sweet baby girl, Avery). Laura's in-laws are meeting them there to help take care of Avery. Anyway, we and the Paynes love Vegas - Laura and I celebrated our 30th birthdays there, so now we're going back for 35. We also love to travel with the Paynes! Traveling is so fun with friends!

Anyway, I am working out a little extra to be ready for our pool cabana at Mandalay Bay Beach. Don't get me wrong. I'm not a work out-aholic or a scale monster (we don't even own a scale- my clothing is my "scale")  but I like to read about being healthy. I love Shape magazine because it talks about real women being healthy. It's motivating, and they have great playlist suggestions and product suggestions. So, I picked up the book Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. Maybe I saw it in my Shape magazine...I can't remember. With yoga, you are supposed to incorporate healthy eating, and this book is a no-nonsense guide to eating really healthy. Within the catchy title are pages that talk about cutting out caffeine. And cutting out sugar. And cutting out alcohol. And how we need carbs. And what amino acids are. And it's pretty funny. So here I am reading it, letting it lead my brain towards knowing a type of healthy. I say "a type" because I know there are many types of healthy out there. Only it led me to a Vegan-type of healthy. Am I ready for this? I'll answer that. I'm not ready for this! So, ok. I know like 1 vegan friend, and I grew up on fish, chicken, beef, ox tail...ox tail! How much more meaty do you get? By the way, Central Market, I need some ox tail for my next Filipino dish, so please order some for me. And if you've never had it, it's like succulent prime rib, and I am not kidding. At least that's what it tastes like at my parents' house.

I was able to finish the book and say, "That was a good perspective to learn about." I did start incorporating a few things from the book already. Buying more organic produce, for example. When I read about all of the toxic stuff that goes into our foods, it's worth it to me to spend a few more cents on organic. Yuk. Seriously. I haven't even seen Food, Inc. yet. I won't even go into the meat industry. I start my day with fruit. I eat more whole grains. Yea! Carbs! I've always eaten them...just saying yea for kicks! :) I drink decaf green tea (iced...it's way too hot for hot beverages) and less coffee. I don't miss coffee yet. We'll see what happens when school starts up again. And I try to pay attention to how foods make me feel. (that's hard...how long do I wait?)

I am not going to preach about this because, really, I don't even know where I stand yet. I'm in a food limbo of sorts. My friend Aleisha is writing about her family's journey to find wholeness. Including foods. I need to read your blog more, Aleisha!

I will say that I'm now OK with being lactose intolerant. I've never said that before. It's pulling at me...just the idea that there is more written and filmed out there that I could explore if I'm ready for it. I've never noticed how much I just didn't WANT to know before. Oh dear, filet steak. I have a new-found appreciation for vegans now. HOW do you do it? I hereby salute you and your will power!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Rina! I think you're the first person to give me the linky love;)

    ReplyDelete